yikes! it’s been awhile. life got in the way. but obviously not in the way of eating delicious things, just in the way of writing them all down! i like how this blog sorta-kinda holds me accountable for writing down my ideas. be it food ideas or yoga ideas. always nice to keep a record of the monkey mind & creations!
i got really frustrated with vegan/non-dairy deserts. every time my husband and i tried to make something, it turned out horrible! not to mention the ingredients are expensive, so you spend lots of mula (no money, no honey) on these fancy things, only to let the dessert vacate to the TRASH CAN. i came up with the brilliant idea to try something that is already dairy-free to begin with. i don’t know why i didn’t think of this sooner.
my creation was angel food cake with strawberries. since there is like NO non-dairy whipped cream, nor is there a good way to make this, i went with a dairy-free pastry cream. i topped the cake with some home-spun powdered sugar, via the vitamix.
*side note: we’ve tried using dextrose, coconut cream, soy cream, and tofu to create some sort of whipped cream-like concoction, only to visit our lovely $5.99 trashcan.also, now that strawberries are about to be in season, this recipe will be perfect!
ANGEL FOOD CAKE:
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 12 egg whites (room temp!)
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F
- in a food processor spin sugar about 2 min until it’s super fine
- sift half the sugar with the salt and the cake flour and set remaining sugar aside
- whisk together egg whites, water, vanilla extract, and cream of tartar. after about a minute switch to a hand mixer.
- add the reserved sugar and beat at medium speed
- you are looking for peaks to form. this can take about 10-20 minutes, and it varies on how close to room temp your eggs were.
- once you get the peaks (be patient!) add some of the flour mix to dust the top of the foam you just created. fold in with spatula. repeat until all is incorporated.
- add the mixture to (2) 8′ round pans. no grease required, please!
- bake for about 40 minutes, but check before you take it out.
- cool upside down for about an hour or two. you don’t want to rush the cooling down, and it must be upside down so that the cake won’t collapse on itself.
*NOTE: this cream can be used for ANYTHING your mind can dream up.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp butter/butter alternative
- in a saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt
- whisk in milk
- cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until mixture is thickened. should take a couple minutes.
- remove mixture and whisk in vanilla, butter until mixture is melted and smooth.
- pour the mixture into medium bowl, cover, let cool in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
to assemble: gently take the angel food cakes out of pans. put one cake flat on a plate. the nice thing about angel food cake is you don’t have to cut the bottom to make a flat edge when you are stacking layers! gently add the cooled pastry cream. you’ll notice the cream has gotten pretty thick. you don’t want to make it too heavy on the angel food cake or else it will collapse. so just be mindful about adding the cream in the middle. layer the top layer on. add sliced strawberries and powdered sugar if desired! Mange!